- —Could you help me with my physics, please? 请问你能帮我做物理课作业吗？
- No, no way. B. No, I couldn’t
- No, I can’t. D. Sorry I can’t. I have to go to a meeting right now.
- —Could I speak to Don Watkins, please? 我能和Don Watkins说话吗？
- I’m listening B. Oh, how are you?
- Speaking, please. D. I’m Don.
- —Could I borrow your car for a few days? 我能借你的车用几天吗？
- Yes, you may borrow. B. Yes, go on.
- Sure, here you are. Enjoy your journey. D. It doesn’t matter.
- —Thank you for inviting me. 感谢您的邀请。
- I really had a happy time. B. Oh, it’s too late
- Thank you for coming D. Oh, so slowly?
- —May I see your tickets, please? 可以看一下你的票吗？
- No, they are mine. B. No, you can’t.
- Sure. D. Yes, you can.
Community service is an important component of education here at our university. We encourage all students to volunteer for at least one community activity before they graduate. A new community program called “One On One” helps elementary students who’ve fallen behind. Your education majors might be especially interested in it because it offers the opportunity to do some teaching, that is, tutoring in math and English.
You’d have to volunteer two hours a week for one semester. You can choose to help a child with math, English, or both. Half-hour lessons are fine, so you could do a half hour of each subject two days a week.
Professor Dodge will act as a mentor to the tutors — he’ll be available to help you with lesson plans or to offer suggestions for activities. He has office hours every Tuesday and Thursday afternoon. You can sign up for the program with him and begin the tutoring next week.
I’m sure you’ll enjoy this community service … and you’ll gain valuable experience at the same time. It looks good on your resume, too, showing that you’ve had experience with children and that you care about your community. If you’d like to sign up, or if you have any questions, stop by Professor Dodge’s office this week. (220 words)
- What is the purpose of the talk? ____________ 这段话的目的是什么？
- To explain a new requirement for graduation.
- To interest students in a new community program. 是为了使学生们对一项新的社区计划感兴趣。
- To discuss the problems of elementary school students.
- To recruit elementary school teachers for a special program.
- What is the purpose of the program that the speaker describes? ____________
- To find jobs for graduating students.
- To help education majors prepare for final exams.
- To offer tutorials to elementary school students. 为小学生提供家教服务。
- To provide funding for a community service project.
- What does Professor Dodge do? ____________道奇教授是干什么的？
- He advises students to participate in certain program. 他为学生参加某项计划提供建议。
- He teaches part-time in an elementary school.
- He observes elementary school students in the classroom.
- He helps students prepare their resumes.
- What should students who are interested in the tutorials do? ____________
- Contact the elementary school.
- Sign up for a special class.
- Submit a resume to the dean.
- Talk to Professor Dodge. 和道奇教授谈谈。
- Whom do you think the speaker addresses? ____________
- Faculty. B. Students. C. Residents D. Graduated students.
Paper is one of the most important products ever invented by man. Wide spread use of written language would not have been possible without some cheap and practical material to write on. The invention of paper meant that more people could be educated because more books could be printed and distributed. Together with the printing press, paper provided an extremely important way to communicate knowledge.
How much paper do you use every year? Probably you cannot answer that question quickly. In 1990 the world’s use of paper was about one kilogram for each person a year. Now some countries use as much as 50 kilograms of paper for each person a year. Countries like the United States, England and Sweden use more paper than other countries.
Paper, like many other things that we use today, was first made in China. In Egypt and the West, paper was not very commonly used before the year 1400. The Egyptians wrote on a kind of material made of a water plant. Europeans used parchment for many hundreds of year. Parchment was very strong; it was made from the skin of certain young animals. We have learnt of the most important facts of European history from records that were kept on parchment. (208words)
- What’s the meaning for the word “parchment”? ____________“parchment”的意思是什么？
- The skin of young animals.
- A kind of paper made from the skin of certain young animals. 一种用某些幼年动物的皮做成的纸。
- The paper used by European countries.
- The paper of Egypt.
- Which of the following is not mentioned about the invention of paper? ____________
- More jobs could be provided than before. 工作机会比以前更多了。
- More people could be educated than before.
- More books could be printed and distributed.
- More ways could be used to exchange knowledge.
- When did the Egyptians begin to use paper widely? ____________
- Around 1400. B. Around 1900. C. Around 400. D. Around 900.
- Which of the following countries uses more paper for each person a year? ____________
- China B. Sweden C. Egypt D. Japan
- What is the main idea of this short talk? ____________
- More and more paper is being consumed nowadays.
- Paper enables people to receive education more easily.
- The invention of paper is of great significance to man. 纸的发明对人类非常重要。
- Paper contributes a lot to the keeping of historical records.
- The atmosphere ______ certain gases mixed together in definite proportions.
- composes of B. is made up C. consists of D. makes up of
- Neither John ______ his father was able to wake up early enough to catch the morning train.
- nor B. or C. but D. and
- The girl is ______ of a film star. 这个女孩有点像一位电影明星。
- somebody B. something C. anybody D. anyone
- Jane’s dress is similar in design ______ her sister’s. 简的裙子和她妹妹的在设计上很相似。
- like B. with C. to D. as
- His salary as a driver is much higher than ______. 他当司机的薪水比当搬运工的薪水要高的多。
- a porter B. is a porter C. that of a porter D. as a porter
One day when Jamie came home after school, his mother had on her worry face. He knew she was thinking of 21 “It’s bad out there. Black clouds are coming from the sea,” Jamie said. “ Yes. I’m thinking of those fishing boats at sea,” she said.
At that moment 22 went out. Jamie and his mother were in the dark.
“The coastline will be in the dark,” Jamie’s mother said. She got more worried. 23 always come in threes. I broke my best glasses this morning, and my sister has the cold.
“Now, don’t worry, mum. They’re right.” They’re 24 to come through this all right.
But Jamie really worried about those fishing boats himself. The fishing boats would 25 the cove （海湾）in the dark.
Jamie took flare and rushed into the wind. There was a cliff by the sea. He started to climb. He 26 himself up hand over hand. At last he reached the top.
He 27 three times. On the fourth try he fired off one of the flares. It rose and cut into the black sky in bright light. Then he saw an answering flare up at sea. Jamie fired off two more. He saw another answering flare up, then another, then another. The answering flares from the fishing boats showed they 28 the entrance to the cove but then changed course and were 29 sailing into the cove. They were almost home. Jamie helped 30 the fishermen of the village.
- A. the wind B. the clouds C. the rain D. the weather
- A. Jamie B. his mother C. the fire D. the lights
- A. Messages B. Accidents C. Troubles D. Q uestions
- A. sure B. lucky C. safe D. ready
- A. lose B. miss C. leave D. forget
- A. pushed B. pulled C. carried D. climbed
- A. made B. tried C. failed D. finished
- A. were at B. had found C. had passed by D. were going into
- A. now B. then C. once D. again
- A. answer B. save C. find out D. look for
- A lot of natural resources in the mountain area are to be exploited and used.
- In Foreign Languages Department, a checking machine is used to correct the students’ test papers.
- The students are encouraged by their teacher to do more listening, reading and writing.
A Get-together on May Day Holiday