一、单选题（共 40 道试题，共 100 分。）
1. Advertising is often the most _______ method of promotion.
2. The BBC _______ the news to all parts of the world.
3. It took him a long time to _______ the skills he needed to become a professional artist.
4. All the _______ in the hospital will get a rise tomorrow.
B. woman doctors
C. women doctors
D. doctors of women
5. There’s something important in _______.
A. paper of today
B. today newspaper’s
C. today newspaper
D. today’s newspaper
6. My son is already showing an interest _______ music.
7. Because there is so much unemployment, the _______ for jobs is fierce.
8. Thanks to my foresight, I took my umbrella with me.
9. He’s a shy boy who can’t _______ with others very well.
A. Henry sent out applications to several big companies.
B. Henry sent out application several big companies.
C. Henry sent out several big companies to his applications.
D. Several big companies sent out applications to Henry.
11. A diet high in fat may be responsible _______ several types of cancer.
12. — Hi! How do you do, Zhang? — _______
A. How are you？
B. Good afternoon.
C. How do you do?
D. Very fine.
13. Many small businesses are struggling _______ survival in this difficult economic climate.
14. The island’s _______ is similar to Hawaii’s, which attracts more and more tourists every year.
15. Old Mr. Carter was convinced that women doctors were _______ to men.
A. I listened to the English programs over the radio ten years ago.
B. I often kept on listening to the English programs over the radio ten years ago.
C. For ten years I kept on listening to the English programs over the radio.
D. For ten years I listened to the E
17. Mr. Smith raises many _______ on his farm.
18. — You’d better have more physical exercise. — _______
A. I’d like that, but I can’t afford the time.
B. That’s good.
D. Yes, I would.
A. It rained heavily yesterday, for we went to the concert anyway.
B. It rained heavily yesterday, and we went to the concert anyway.
C. It rained heavily yesterday, but we went to the concert anyway.
D. It rained heavily, however we went to the concert anyway.
20. Some words are hard to _______ because they have many different uses.
21. My letters were all returned to me, so I decided to go around to her house _______ person.
22. The police asked me to _______ exactly how it happened.
23. I’d like to have some fish rather than beef.
24. He is learning to playing _______ guitar.
25. The hero of the story is an artist in his _______.
26. I _______ on those days as the happiest time of my life.
A. look at
B. look down
C. look back
D. look for
27. I’ve lost _______ with George in the last few months.
28. Tom felt his mother knew he was lying when she looked him in the eye.
29. There are two _______ students on the play ground.
B. hundred of
D. hundreds of
30. If you meet a new word and you are not sure what it means, _______ it _______ in a dictionary.
A. look at
B. look for
C. look after
D. look up
31. I think we should _______ these interesting old customs.
32. — _______ — I failed my driving test again.
A. What shall I do?
B. I’m down in spirits.
C. What are you doing?
D. What’s up?
33. The air in Beijing is getting much _______ now than a few years ago.
D. the cleanest
34. There is _______ ink in the bottle. I have to buy some.
B. a little
D. a few
35. Mrs. Black became a(n) _______ at making desserts.
36. It wasn’t a good thing; _______ the contrary it was a huge mistake.
37. Each member is given a special exercise routine that is _______ for his or her needs.
38. Some friends of _______ joined the political party.
A. my father
B. my father’s
C. my fathers'
D. my fathers
39. — Which is your preference, tea or coffee? — _______
A. OK, thanks.
B. I like both.
C. Can I choose?
D. I choose tea any time.
40. John was so drunk that he fell off the bike and _______ by the roadside until the next morning.
C. had lain