一、单选题（共 20 道试题，共 80 分。）
1. With his work completed, the manager stepped back to his seat, feeling pleased ________ he was a man of action.
2. He's been sought after by many young girls. I am really surprised you have an unfavorable ______ of him.
3. In 1958 Marian Anderson ________ her country as a United Nations delegate.
B. was served
C. to serve
4. This is the microscope ______ which we have had so much trouble.
5. You shouldn't __________ your time like that, Bob; you have to finish your school work tonight.
6. We all know that there are ________ ways of getting to know a person.
D. various of
7. I advise that they ________ to the government for a home improvement fund, but I'm not sure whether they can obtain it.
8. If she wants to stay thin, she must make a ___________ in her diet.
9. How much has the company ________ this year?
A. brought in
B. brought down
C. brought out
D. brought about
10. You will probably _____ your team's chance to win because you seem to have such a big _____ them.
A. affect; impact in
B. effect; impact in
C. affect; impact on
D. effect; affect on
11. Coal was formed out of dead forests by a long and slow _______ of chemical change.
12. The manager is always in a bad _____ on Mondays which signal the beginning of another exhausting week.
13. Don't _____ me in solving your problems. It is none of my business.
14. Since this road is wet and slippery this morning, it _________ last night.
A. must rain
B. was raining
C. must have rained
D. may rain
15. He had often dreamed of retiring in England and had planned to ________ down in the country.
16. Many countries lay more emphasis on ______ the offshore oil deposits.
17. There have been many ______ in their marriage, but they still love each other.
A. right and wrong
B. back and forth
C. ups and downs
D. right and left
18. His salary as a driver is much higher than __________.
A. a porter
B. is a porter
C. that of a porter
D. as a porter
19. We moved to London ______ we could visit our friends more often.
A. even if
B. so that
C. in case
D. as if
20. Before falling asleep, Helen ________ the day's happenings. However, she couldn't recall who put forward that plan in the first place.
二、判断题（共 10 道试题，共 20 分。）
1. At the conference they brought up many problems, such as soaring housing prices and the homeless, which aroused great attention from the delegates present.
2. It is while we grow up that we begin realizing the purpose of education and understanding it's application in the daily life.
3. Our department has a large collection of books, many of them are in English.
4. Two members of the committee are against the proposal that the discussion is postponed till next session.
5. It triggers a round of heated discussions about family relationship toward which many people hold the opinion that he should receive open trial.
6. It was about 600 years ago that the first clock with a face and an hour hand was made.
7. Somehow, in the panic, the crew of the airplane were able to rescue nearly all of the passengers.
8. She's alive! She was drowning but that handsome young man was diving in and saved her just in time.
9. We did the research as good as we could; however, it did not turn out to be satisfactory.
10. Whoever breaks the law will be punished sooner or later.