一、单选题（共 20 道试题，共 80 分。）
1. Scientists say it may be five or ten years _______ it is possible to test this medicine on human patients.
2. Professor Johnson comes from either Oxford or MIT, I can’t remember __________.
3. It will be a great advantage to be able to speak a foreign language, especially if you are _____ business.
4. Energy is __________ makes thing work.
5. Before the final examination, some students have shown __________ of tension. They even have trouble in sleeping.
6. I’ll give you a ring if Mike _________ tomorrow.
B. will come
D. is coming
7. I would rather __________ two weeks earlier.
A. you should come here
B. you come here
C. you must come
D. you came
8. In order to ________ the disease, the first thing we should do is to do research about it and find out a satisfactory cure.
9. _______ girl dressed _______ black is her sister Rose.
A. A … in
B. A … on
C. The … on
D. The … in
10. That was a difficult question, but Mary still ________ to work it out.
11. She ________ the joy of writing children's stories and finally decided to devote herself to it.
12. Information has been put forward __________ more middle school graduates will be admitted into universities.
13. The president would ______ Williams as his deputy in the city of New York on account of his attitude and achievements as well.
14. To be a good nurse, one has to be patient, careful, responsible and _________.
15. Tom, what did you do with my documents? I have never seen such a __________ and disorder!
16. Never get off the bus __________ it has stopped.
B. as soon as
17. Research _____ that men find it easier to give up smoking than women, but some experts are doubtful about this conclusion.
18. The film brought the hours back to me ________ I was taken good care of in that remote village.
19. Even people of great wisdom find it hard to settle a family quarrel. You'd better not get _________ in the affairs of the couple.
20. With the help of the German experts, the factory produced _____ cars in 1993 as the year before.
A. as twice many
B. as many as twice
C. twice as many
D. as twice as many
二、判断题（共 10 道试题，共 20 分。）
1. They liked to do one thing at one time and something else at another time or at another way.
2. I prefer to live in the country rather than live in a city.
3. Turtles and tortoises look much like and are often mistaken for each other.
4. By reading the instructions carefully, so that mistakes on the examination can be avoided.
5. Despite the wonderful acting and great stars, the two-hours movie couldn't hold the audience's attention.
6. John had to cut his visit shortly two days ahead of time.
7. We could have finished the task, but it was always raining.
8. The hotel which I stayed during the vacation was rather poorly managed.
9. In such areas as sports, ranking of individual performances are relatively well accepted since the parameters on which the rating is based are generally objective.
10. I am a stranger to ancient coins.